President's welcome Message
Welcome to Temple Hillel B'nai Torah (HBT)! We are a diverse and homey Reconstructionist Jewish community. Our nearly 150 member families come from Boston’s neighborhoods and other nearby towns. They’ve chosen HBT for many reasons, including:
- Our Reconstructionist approach to worship and community, combining reverence for tradition with exploration of new ways to express our Judaism;
- Our brilliant, nationally respected rabbi
- Our vibrant religious school
- Our embrace of families with young children, interfaith and LGBTQ families, and families of color;
- Our active commitment to Tikkun Olam (social justice), and
- The kind, funny, and intellectually curious people who make up our membership
For a small temple, we offer a surprisingly large array of member activities. We can meet your spiritual needs with High Holiday and weekly Shabbat services, Torah study with Rabbi Barbara Penzner, and a twice-weekly evening minyan. Our Chaverim School has an outstanding educational program for children that keeps on innovating. Adults have many options for lifelong learning, as well. Depending on your interests, you might bring your pre-schooler to our monthly “Shakin' Shabbat” service (pizza included), come to a Jewish short story discussion group or a speaker program on criminal justice reform or human rights, take an exercise class with a Jewish touch, or join other members for a Shabbat meal at a member’s home. And much more.
Our community is caring and progressive. Members serve on temple committees, deliver food to Family Table (Boston's Jewish food bank), represent HBT at marches, rallies, and legislative hearings, and celebrate at our bi-annual Cape Cod members' retreat. We enjoy being together and helping one another. Prospective and new members are always welcome. We hope you'll consider how HBT can help you find peace and purpose, in ways that enrich your own Jewish knowledge and experience.
If you would like more information about HBT or any of our upcoming activities, please contact Benita Block at email@example.com.
Judith Levine, President